CAN DOGS EAT LYCHEE? [HIGH IN SUGAR]


can dogs eat lychee?

If you have a canine companion, you’ve probably wondered, «Can dogs eat lychee?» Fortunately, we have an answer to this pressing question. In this article, we’ll look at whether dogs can eat lychees and whether it’s even a good idea in the first place. So, if you want to keep your canine companions healthy and happy, here’s everything you need to know.

Can dogs eat Lychee?

Yes, you can feed the flesh of lichee to your dog because the fruit is safe for canines. Having said that, you should avoid giving whole lichees (without removing the skin and seed) because both the skin and the seed are potentially toxic to dogs.

Even though lichee is safe for most dogs, the high sugar content should not be overlooked. That is why, even if you feed lychees to your dog, make sure you do so in moderation.

Health benefits of Lychee for dogs

Lychee, like cucumber, is one of the few fruits that contains 80 percent water. The remaining 20% of the fruit, on the other hand, is high in Vitamin C, B vitamins, fiber, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and other nutrients.

Vitamin C is high in antioxidants and aids in the development and strengthening of your dog’s immune system. It also improves the function of the adrenal gland and helps to prevent cancer.
B vitamins boost your dog’s metabolism and aid in the regulation of enzyme function. This nutrient also increases glucose production and aids in the smooth operation and function of RBCs (red blood cells).
Fiber is an essential nutrient for addressing digestive issues. It also aids in the regulation of changes in your puppy’s glucose levels.
Calcium-rich food benefits your dog’s bone and tooth function in the same way that it does in humans.
The other nutrients collectively improve immune system performance, blood cell regulation, and cardiac function in puppies.

How to feed Lychee to dogs?

To feed lychee to your dogs, follow the same steps you would take if you were trying to eat it yourself. Remove the skin, remove the fruit, and feed your pup the flesh of three to four fruits at the same time. Green and unripe lychees should be avoided as they can cause severe and life-threatening medical conditions.. 

Why can Lychee be harmful for dogs?

Despite the fact that lychee has no significant health consequences for dogs, it is best to feed the fruit in moderation. This is due to the fruit’s high sugar content, which may affect and alter your pup’s blood sugar levels and cause more serious problems.

Feeding green lychees that aren’t fully ripe, as well as lychee seeds and skin, should be avoided because they can cause dangerous symptoms and lead to problematic medical conditions. If your dog inadvertently swallows lychee seeds, check to see if they are drooling, vomiting, or showing signs of diarrhea. Among the many symptoms to look for are muscle spasms, seizures, bloody stool, urine with dark undertones, and shaking of the head.

Consult your veterinarian right away if you suspect your dog has accidentally swallowed lychee skin or seed!

What foods can you give to your dog instead of Lychee?

While lychees are not harmful to your dogs and have a high vitamin content, they have a high sugar content as well. And since high-sugar foods aren’t ideal for dogs, consider using alternative fruits such as bananas, cucumbers, and specific berries such as raspberries. These fruits contain the same amount of vitamins as lychee (if not more), and because the sugar content is lower, you won’t have to feed them in moderation.

Are dogs allergic to Lychee? 

No, dogs are not allergic to lychee flesh or seedless lychee. However, due to the high sugar content of lychee, you should always feed the fruit in moderation. Furthermore, before feeding the fruit to your dog, make sure you remove the seeds and the outer layer of the fruit; otherwise, it could lead to dangerous medical conditions.

Can dogs eat Lychee — Our Verdict!

Now that you know that dogs can eat lychee, don’t wait any longer to get this fruit for your pup! While offering the fruit to your canine, remove the skin and seed and follow our feeding guidelines. Although lychee is safe, because of the fruit’s high sugar content, you should experiment with healthier alternatives on occasion. Otherwise, if fed in moderation, the fruit is completely safe and does not cause allergies in dogs.

Recent Posts