Beans are quite a healthy option when it comes to food. The best part is that it can be cooked in different ways and almost every household has beans at their home. As we know, beans can be extremely healthy and beneficial for humans. But the main question that comes to the mind of the dog owners is – can dogs eat beans? Well, if this is your question, then you are not the only one. Read on to know more about it.
Can dogs eat beans?
Yes! Dogs can eat beans and it can be a part of the balanced and healthy diet of your pup. Being rich in healthy nutrients like protein and dietary fibers, the beans can be a perfect treat for your dog. Dogs can eat most of the varieties of beans safely. But there are certain varieties that must be avoided, if possible. But black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas and green beans are the healthiest options to consider for your pup.
Health benefits of beans for dogs?
The beans can be a great addition for your dog’s diet. The beans are full of essential nutrients like iron, protein, vitamin B complex, magnesium and potassium. It even contains rich amount of antioxidants and fiber which can be extremely beneficial for your dog. Here are some of the health benefits:
- Regulating blood sugar: Diabetics can be a major problem in dogs. The beans can help in regulating the glucose level in dog’s blood keeping it in check. Even vets recommend beans for the dogs who are on diabetic diet.
- Better energy level: As the beans contain high amount of antioxidants, they can provide you with better energy. Antioxidants can be really beneficial for the dogs’ health.
- Stronger muscles: You may already know that beans are a great source of protein which can help in building lean and stronger muscles. Thus, including beans in dog’s diet can help them to have stronger and better muscle.
- Better immune system: With the vitamins present in the beans, your pup can have a better immune system. It can successfully support the body and help to recover from any injury too. Plus, the iron in the beans can help in creating RBC (red blood cells).
Why beans can be bad for dogs?
While the answer to the question – ‘ dogs eat beans’ is yes, you need to know that you must avoid some of the types of beans. Some of those beans are:
- Baked beans (high in sugar content)
- Fava beans
- Chili beans
- Coffee beans
- Fried beans
Intake of these beans can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and neurological damages. Sometimes, too much intake of beans can lead to gastrointestinal issues.
How to feed beans to dogs?
While feeding the dogs with beans, make sure that you are not feeding them raw beans, especially raw red kidney beans. It can contain some toxins which can be quite dangerous for the dogs. You need to cook the beans before serving to your pup. But make sure that you are not providing them with canned beans. Cook the beans without sugar, onions, garlic and spices. Only the green beans can be served raw to your pup. But it is better to blanch or simply boil the beans before giving it to your dogs. Talking about the amount, you need to give the beans in moderation only. For the right amount, call your vet as the portion depends on the breed and size of your dog.
What foods can you give to your dog instead of beans?
If you want to give a break to the regular intake of beans, you can find some alternative options too. You can give foods like carrots, daikon, berries and broccoli to your dog instead of beans.
Are dogs allergic to beans?
No, dogs are generally not allergic to beans. But some of the beans (as mentioned above) can be very toxic for the pets. If the recommended beans are served without spices, onions, garlic etc. then it is completely safe for them.
You must have already got the answer to your question – can dogs eat beans? As mentioned above, the beans can be quite beneficial for your dog’s health, you can give them as a treat along with their meals. Not only your pup will love it, the beans can make the meal even healthier and better.