Can Dogs Eat Fava Beans?

fava beans

Fava beans are toxic for dogs

Fava beans, or broad beans, can be toxic and shouldn’t be fed to dogs. Fava beans contain a protein, called phytohemagglutinin (PHA), that is toxic. It gives seeds a bitter taste, most likely to protect them from insects. If eaten, it effects the intestinal lining and can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea. PHA is found in other beans and legumes (e.g. kidney beans), but it can mostly be deactivated with 10 minutes of boiling. With fava beans, however, it is harder to deactivate the PHA with boiling and so it should not be fed to dogs raw or cooked.

Symptoms: vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, panting, abdominal pain