The little John just turned one year old and the whole family is enjoying the occasion with loads of food on the table including chocolates, biscuits, fruit cake and alcohol. Everybody is having a good time and their adorable little french bulldog is staring at the food with his big brown eyes.

After the party, everyone is so tired that they almost forgot to clean up the table before going to their beds and it is now time for a feast for the little dog. Little they know that many of the tasty treats they have just enjoyed eating are harmful for their dog and so the pup spends the next few days at a vet clinic. Luckily, everything is ok and the doctors do whatever is necessary to save the him.

He’s happier (and fatter) then ever, and the owners are more mindful of what they leave on the table!

7 Worst Human Foods for Dogs To Eat

You most likely want to share all your tasty food with your little dog but not all foods that are safe for humans to consume are safe for dogs. There is a number of foods that humans can eat safely but they are harmful to dogs and feeding those foods to dogs is not only extremely dangerous for their health but could potentially be fatal in many cases.

This is because humans and dog have totally different metabolism. It might be possible that your dog has eaten those foods in the past without showing any symptoms but it might have caused them some serious health issues that you are not fully aware of. So all good doggy parents out there, beware some foods are just bad for the health of your baby pup.

So, what are some of the worst human foods for your dog to fetch off of your dinner table and eat?

These are Chocolate, grapes and raisins, salty foods, avocados, tea and coffee, alcohol and candy.

Watch out for these and NEVER EVER leave them laying unattended.


Chocolate is rich in two stimulant chemicals theobromine and caffeine, both of which are not harmful to human but extremely difficult for dogs to metabolize.

Eating chocolate is really bad for the health of your dog and it can cause stomach pain, diarrhoea, vomiting and dehydration. In extreme cases, the symptoms might get worse such as irregular heart rhythms, seizures, tremors, or death as well.

The seriousness of side effects or symptoms is dependent on various factors such as size and age of the dog, type and quantity of chocolate it has consumed. According to Merck Veterinary Manual, toxic symptoms appear in dogs even after consuming as little as 20mg per kg of dog’s body weight.

So, it is extremely important for you to never leave chocolate on the table especially on holidays like Valentine’s Day, Easter, Halloween and Christmas, when chocolates are consumed the most and often left on the table.



Grape and Their Dried Products Raisins

Grapes and raisins are toxic for dogs as they can cause kidney failure which can be ultimately fatal for your dog. It is still not known what toxic ingredient in grapes make dogs sick but only a little amount of raisins and grapes can make them extremely unwell.

The early symptom of toxicity is repeated vomiting, which will not only make your dog dehydrated and sluggish but also depressed. Other symptoms include diarrhoea, loss of appetite, lethargy and stomach pain.

It is common practice to leave fruits on the table so that we can have them whenever we want but if you have a dog at home then you need to be extra cautious. Additionally, Grapes and raisins are found in many food products such as biscuits, chutneys, cereal, fruit cake, tarts etc. Therefore, all those foods that have raisins or grapes must never be left unattended on the table.

salty foods

Salty Foods

It is commonly known that popcorn, chips and pretzels are bad for the health of dogs and that’s because of the high salt content in them. Just like humans, dogs need a small amount of sodium to keep electrolyte balance but excessive salt consumption is harmful to their health. Consuming too much salt can cause sodium ion poisoning in dogs.

The early symptoms of salt or sodium ion poisoning are that the dog becomes extremely thirsty due to which it drinks excessive water leading to bloating or fluid accumulation. Later symptoms of salt or sodium ion poisoning are vomiting, diarrhoea, nausea, high body temperature, tremors, and seizures. If salt poisoning is not treated, the dog may die.

According to the Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources, which is a subdivision of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and National Research Council, a dog can safely consume 100 mg sodium a day per 33 pounds of body weight. Anything above this amount is dangerous for the dog. So the next time you leave a pack of salty snack on your table, think twice as it can cost you the life of your dog.



Avocados are rich in an ingredient called persin which is toxic for dogs, though it is absolutely safe for human consumption. Many animals are resistant to persin but dogs are more resistant to persin than any other creature. Persin is not only found in avocados flesh but also in its pits, leaves and bark.

If your dog consumes any of these, it is very likely that fluid will accumulate in his lungs and chests, which would make it difficult for the dog to breathe leading to oxygen deprivation and ultimately death. Fluids not only accumulate in the lungs and chest but they can also build up in the heart, pancreas and abdomen leading to other serious or fatal complications in dogs.

Additionally, high-fat content in avocado’s flesh can cause gastrointestinal problems and pancreatitis in dogs. Lastly, the seed or stone at the center of the avocado can cause choking if swallowed by the dog. It is therefore never safe to leave avocado on the table where your dog can easily access it.

coffee beans

Tea, Coffee And Other Caffeine

Caffeine which is found in tea and coffee is not good for the health of your dog as it can increase heart rate and stimulate the nervous system. Within hours of consumption of caffeine, symptoms will appear such as restlessness, excessive thirst, lack of urine control, vomiting and diarrhoea.

In case the dog has consumed a high dose of caffeine, then the symptoms become worse like abnormal heart rhythm or lung failure which can be fatal for the dog. According to PubMed Central, deaths have been reported with even a minimum dose of 2.2 mg per pound of body weight.



Liquor, wine, beer or any food that has alcohol in it are extremely bad for the health of the dog. Just like humans, alcohol affects the brain and liver of dogs too but in the case of dogs, only a small amount can hurt them a lot. A few of the many problems caused by alcohol include diarrhoea, lack of muscle coordination, poor breathing, vomiting and diarrhoea while in case of too much consumption of alcohol, the problems become severe such as lungs failure, seizures, coma and even death.

It is also important to know that the smaller the dog is, the worse the symptoms are. Usually, the symptoms appear within an hour after the dog has consumed alcohol.

Alcohol poisoning is very common in dogs which usually happen after accidental consumption of alcoholic beverage we leave on tables. It is therefore one of the worst foods you should never leave on the table if you want your dog to stay healthy


Candy, Gum, Peanut Butter And Baked Goods

There is an ingredient in these sweets called xylitol and it causes insulin surge through the dog’s body leading to a sudden drop in blood sugar level and liver failure. Symptoms of the problem include vomiting, lack of coordination, tiredness, seizures and ultimately results in death. It is a very common practice to leave candies and gums on the table especially when we have kids at home; a practice which must be avoided to protect dogs.


Tips On How To Make Sure You Don’t Leave Food Unattended On The Table

to do list

  1. Always keep the candies, gums, cookies and peanut butter packed or in a tight jar that cannot be opened by your dog in any case. It is also a good idea to keep the jars at a higher place such as cabinets in the kitchen.
  2. Always keep the chocolates in the fridge. In case there is some unfinished piece of chocolate wrap it properly and then put it in the fridge. In case you want to go to the bathroom while eating the chocolate, do not leave it on the table, rather finish it and then go to the bathroom.
  3. Make it a habit to always pick up your cups of coffee and tea and throw away any leftover coffee or tea and then put the empty cups in the sink or dishwasher.
  4. Always keep the raw vegetables and fruits in the fridge and take them out only when you want to eat them or cook them and also take out as little quantity as you need.
  5. Do not forget to take packets of any unfinished packets of chips, pretzels, biscuits and popcorn along with you to your room where your dog

Recent Posts